Gestures. They make a difference.
As we prepare to go back to Columbus for another hospital stay, I was going through the things from our last stay. In it was a hairband of Jennifer’s. When she was admitted last time, the hairband had a purpose and it went on the trip with us. This time, it stays behind. I started thinking about Jen standing in the bathroom, brushing her hair. I miss that. It is such small things I miss.
But I decided to not let it consume me, but instead focus on the blessings I find each day. Many of them come in the way of a small but significant gesture. So a list of gestures over the last several weeks, I present to you.
- The meal that showed up at our door.
- The random note left for me or Jen.
- The message left on Jennifer’s facebook wall with words of encouragement.
- The extra money found in a bank account from an anonymous person.
- The package of cards created by the little kids at daycare.
- The $5 donation made by someone who posted days before on facebook they were broke.
- The candle lit at church with a prayer for strength.
- The visitors.
- The garbage can placed back near the house on a windy day.
- The card sent from someone who we never met, who saw in an art group Jen was in the hospital.
- The hand placed on my shoulder, saying you are praying for Jen.
- The gentle smile from who had never been so kind before.
- The meal that was paid for when we were out on our way to an appointment.
- The many prayers made each and every day for Jen.
- The nurse who took an extra minute to give me a hug.
- The people who have given blood in Jen’s honor.
- The people decided to be on the bone marrow registry.
- The friends who listen to me cry and scream when I am falling apart.
- All the cards of get well. And of course Christmas cards.
- The gift cards that filled our tanks and tummies.
- The monetary donations that have got us through when we aren’t able to work.
- The help with the house, the dogs, the meals, the laundry, and all the rest that goes without me when I’m with Jen in Columbus.