Maybe Day 1 yet today….

This morning a new doctor on Jen’s case came to see her. A new look at her brings a new view and a different approach. Although we were disappointed Jen didn’t start chemo yesterday, the delay may have been a blessing in disguise.

The doctor looked at her file before coming in and had a couple questions about why induction chemo and not consolidation. Because her counts remain well and because it seems as the cancer cleared up, so did the rashes, he wondered if she is actually in remission.

He shared with us there was a test that had not yet gotten back that is more specific at looking at the abnormal cells and determine if they are premature new growth cells or cancer cells. And he thought possibly some since her numbers are in average range, this very well can be the case. He also thinks possibly the rashes are leukemia in her skin and as her cancer improves, so did the skin.

So while waiting on that test result, Jen gets results of her echo this morning. Frequently, induction chemo can do heart damage. When young like Jen, the heart repairs itself over time. Jen’s heart showed some damage. Then earlier then expected, the result from her biopsy comes back. And it is a good news, bad news thing.

The good news is because the need for time to repair her heart, they think consolidation chemo is the way to go. This means five to six days in hospital and home. It is not as intensive, shorter stay, and saves the induction chemo for transplant. The bad news is she truly isn’t in remission, as the doctor had hoped.

So now with a different plan, she moves forward with 2 hours on chemo and 12 hours off and that repeats for five days. And to her delight, she gets to come home early next week and be home for her birthday.

A Word From Jen – Christmas Eve

Hello facebook family and friends. Yes it is truly me. It has taken quite some time to get me to this point to make a post to all of you. As most of you may know I wad quite sick over the past week.

With all the meds they put in me and fluids and being bound to a bed I put on nearly 50 pounds of pure water weight. Half of that thankfully is gone.

My focus issues are still hard to deal with but pushing my limits the best I can so I can get better sooner.

I am working with physically therapy to help me regain my strength while I walk. That too has come leaps and bounds in just the past 24 hours.

We are currently on Day 25 of my admission here. The doctor’s told me yesterday to expect another 10 days plus inpatient therapy program. After today I feel that I may only need out patient therapy and then I could potentially be home by mid next week.

My numbers and counts for my wbc, hemoglobin, and platelets are continuing to get better every day and if it weren’t for my spout with pneumonia I would be home already. My numbers are pushing lower level normal levels for a non sick person.

Today my Aunt Diann Neal and Uncle Ernie came for a visit and my family also came and hung out with me for Christmas eve. Although it sucks to be here through the holidays I am truly blessed to be here today.

Live to love love to live.

We are definitely being blessed as Christmas draws near. All Jen’s counts are improving. Her pulse rate and respirations so much better. Her swelling going down. She is off the oxygen so she will get to shower today She had no fevers over night and slept much better and so did I. We found a place to board dogs over night this weekend! Thank you Donna Bendele at Five Star Pets.

Randy, Jess, and Matt are coming to Columbus to spend the weekend with me and Jen. Things are looking up.
Merry Christmas to all of you. We are so blessed this year with so much love and support!



Prayers Needed

Tuesday December 20 – day 21
Without going into a long drawn out explanation I’ll give a short summary.
1. Procedure to look in lungs found some infection they are treating as fungal phenomenon. This requires an strong antibotic that is hard on kidneys so watching that closely
2. Water retention is a big concern and they are trying to take it off without effecting her bp
3. If she isn’t able to maintain her breathing, she will be moved to icu with possible need to vent her.

If ever I needed prayers threw this hell, I need them now. ..I can’t tell you how scary this is. She has been irritated but still ok. Me, I’m all over the place.

Monday December 19
730 pm
Tomorrow at 2pm they are going to scope into jen’s lungs to see if there is a fungal infection. The CT scan over the weekend showed some small spots…he called bruising. They hope this is what is causing the fevers and then they can figure out how to treat

Monday December 19
They are going to decrease the amount of Tylenol jen gets to see if this decrease her liver function numbers ( bilirubin ). They will use cold packs to decrease the fever.

She also has a decrease in urine. They will change meds up to see if that will help

They also are running a big series of blood panels to look for different flu/cold viruses. Until they have results we need to gown up with gloves and face protection (has a plastic shield up over eyes). We will know in 24 hours if we need to continue this or not. We sure hope not as it is very uncomfortable to be in for a long time.
Randy is going home this evening as he works tomorrow evening. Hopefully when he returns at the end of the week Jen has improved so much she will be ready to open some Christmas gifts.

This Friday the Patrick Vetter and Alex Warnement at the Main Street Market will be hosting a corn hole tournament with games starting as early as 3pm. You can pre register your team to pick your best starting time. Contact Jessica Crawford for more information. Registration fees will go to Jennifer to help her during this difficult time. Nothing would bring a smile to her face faster then to know her community, family, and friends rally together and bring her some much needed holiday cheer.

Sunday December 18

Alas, Jennifer had a better night sleep. They found her the right combination to help her relax. Anxiety was getting the best of her, especially having to wear an oxygen mask for several hours. About 5 am, Huxley (what we have named her fever) broke. Hopefully he stays away.

Randy stayed with Jen, while Jessica and Matt took me to get some rest at a hotel close by. Since staying at holiday Inn express makes you simply brilliant, we all are now better equipped to cure Jen.Heather stayed back at home to watch after the two small dogs, while our big puppy Dex got to attend the Fischer family Christmas thanks to my sister Sue. If it wasn’t for the help of Heather and Sue, I would be so lost right now.

I don’t know the plan for today for Jen but hopefully it includes a dance towards healing and finding out how to make this horrible rash, which we have named Rhys by the way, go away.

This evening, Jess and Matt will head back home and Randy will be here with me through early Tuesday. Thank you for the continued prayers. Even if we are here next week over Christmas, it is a blessing to know we are together with and so much support back home.20